Protection of Personal Information
The Act Respecting Access to Information Held by Public Bodies and the Protection of Personal Information.
Personal information is protected by legislation in the Province of Quebec. Personal Information includes, but is not limited to, name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, date of birth, citizenship, McGill ID, program, student status and academic record information. The provisions of this statute are such that discussion about a student’s file or access to that file is restricted to the student involved. Other persons or organizations can have access to information pertaining to a student’s file only if the student has provided the School of Continuing Studies with written authorization which specifies both to whom information can be given and the type of information which can be released.
Certain information gathered by the University about a student will be released to the following bodies upon their request:
- a) the Student Association recognized by McGill University
- b) the McGill Alumni Association
- c) the school(s) or college(s) which the student attended
- d) the appropriate authorities (e.g., affiliated company, group etc.) involved with the external or internal funding of fees
- e) the professional bodies or corporations (e.g., engineers, dentists).
- f) Chambre de commerce et d’industrie Paris Ile de France (e.g.TEF/TEFaQ results)
- g) Regulatory authorities, law enforcement or other persons, as authorized or required by law.
- h) Libraries of other Quebec Universities with which McGill has established reciprocal borrowing agreements;
- i) The Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion, Immigration, Réfugiés et Citoyenneté Canada and/or the Régie de l’assurance-maladie du Québec to verify the validity of my immigration or health insurance status;
- j) the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada, the Association of Registrars of the Universities and Colleges of Canada and the Bureau de coopération interuniversitaire or the member institutions of these organizations, for the purpose of admissions operations and the production of statistics;
- k) other universities and colleges, at the discretion of the University, if any information connected to your application or registration is determine to be false and misleading, concealed or withheld, contains evidence of academic dishonesty or inappropriate conduct;
- l) Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de Paris (CCIP)
- m) Centre international d’études pédagogiques (CIEP)
A student may oppose the release of information to those named above by completing an opposition form. You can request the form at askD@mcgill.ca
Officers and members of the University staff (e.g. Faculty officers, Office of the Dean of Students, etc.) may also have access to relevant parts of such records for recognized and legitimate use.
McGill University School of Continuing Studies has proper security measures to protect you from the unauthorized use of your stored information. This non-credit registration system runs on software provided by Destiny Solutions (a company based in Toronto, Canada) and stores the personal information on Amazon cloud services in the United States of America.We commit to safe transactional processes on this website at all times. For this reason, your credit card information is not stored on this website. If the use of your credit card online is a concern to you, we invite you to register with one of our representatives over the telephone at (+1) 514 398-5700.
McGill University School of Continuing Studies is committed to respecting the privacy of any user or visitor to its website. Any data or information that may be communicated to McGill University School of Continuing Studies will not be sold or shared except for the release of information to the bodies listed above. In compliance with the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information (R.S.Q. c. A-2.1), any personal information that McGill University School of Continuing Studies collects is handled in a confidential manner, by authorized individuals, and for the purpose for which it was collected. The volunteered information collected via our website is used by us alone to contact you for transactional or marketing purposes. We use the information to open accounts, process orders, communicate with alumni and customize our relationship with our customers. McGill University School of Continuing Studies makes a commitment against spam and is in accordance with all applicable laws. You can unsubscribe at any time using the unsubscribe button included in all our communication or by contacting us via email or phone. All manual request to unsubscribed may take up to 10 business days as prescribed by the law.
- I understand that an admission granted based on incomplete, incorrect or false information contained in my application or supporting documents may be revoked at the sole discretion of the University. The University reserves the right to revoke admission at any time.
- I acknowledge that, if admitted to McGill University, I will be bound by the statutes, rules, regulations and policies in place from time to time at McGill University and at the faculty or faculties in which I am registered, including those policies contained in the University calendars and related fee documents. I undertake to observe all such statutes, rules, regulations and policies. My obligations shall commence with my registration and terminate in accordance with the University’s statutes, regulations and policies.
This Agreement is governed by the laws of the Province of Québec. The parties hereby confirm that they each require that this and all documents and notices in connection therewith be drawn up in English.
McGill University School of Continuing Studies reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.
If you have any questions please contact:
McGill University School of Continuing Studies
688 Sherbrooke Street West, 11th floor Montreal, Quebec (Canada) H3A 3R1
T 514 398 5700